Quilting can be an incredibly enjoyable, relaxing and rewarding hobby to take up, but if you’ve never quilted before, you might not know what you need to get started. There are a lot of products, supplies, tools, and materials out there, and you might feel overwhelmed by all of the gear that you have to choose from. The good news is that you don’t need to break the bank by stocking up on a long list of expensive sewing supplies in St. Louis, MO just to get started with quilting. By purchasing a few key items, you will have virtually everything you need to start your first quilting project:
- Sewing machine: The most important piece of equipment for quilters is a sewing machine. There is a wide variety of sewing machine brands and models out there, so it’s important to take your time and do plenty of research into the right machine for your needs.
- Ironing supplies: Ironing your finished quilt will give it a clean, crisp appearance. You should also iron your fabric prior to sewing to reduce wrinkles that might interfere with your stitches. A simple iron with a steam function and a sturdy ironing board will work just fine for your quilting needs—you don’t need to spring for anything fancy.
- Safety pins: Safety pins allow you to secure various pieces of fabric together while you sew. You should always have plenty of pins on hand.
- Quality thread: Nothing is quite as frustrating as dealing with snapping thread when you’re working on a project. Look for higher-quality thread that’s designed for use in quilting. You can find a good selection of thread at a store that sells sewing supplies in St. Louis, MO.
- Needles: Sewing machine needles are different from standard sewing needles, so you’ll need to buy heavy-duty needles that are designed for use with your specific machine.
- Rotary cutter: A rotary cutter has a circular blade that allows you to make precise, angular cuts in your fabric. Invest in a nice rotary cutter and a sharpening tool to prevent your blade from getting dull.
- Mat: A fabric cutting mat is designed to be resistant to damage from your rotary blade. These mats also typically have measurements printed on them that you can use as a ruler or guide.
- Ruler: Quilting involves quite a bit of math and measurements. A good ruler is your best friend when it comes to cutting your fabric precisely and consistently.
- Fabric: You should always have a good selection of high-quality, colorful fabric on hand. Pick out designs and colors that you like and use them to inspire your quilting projects.
Stock up on sewing supplies in St. Louis, MO
Whether you are looking for your very first sewing machine or you want some new tools to add to your extensive collection of quilting supplies, you can find what you need at Fenton Sew and Vac. We are proud to be a family-owned and operated business with decades of experience providing high-quality vacuum and sewing supplies, tools, equipment, and services. We are also happy to provide free repair estimates for sewing machines and vacuum cleaners. Find out more by giving us a call or stopping by today.
Categorised in: Sewing Supplies
This post was written by Writer